Tuesday, October 5, 2010

iSync guide for Nokia 6700c

This guide tested with Nokia 6700c firmware 13.10, Mac OSX 10.6.4 and iSync Plugin version 0.4

Please follow these steps prior syncing your Nokia 6700c with iSync:
  • Install iSync plugin.
  • Make sure the contacts and calendar that you want to sync are in OSX instead of phone, since we’ll need to clear all contact and calendar entries in phone. Also don’t forget make a backup in address book and iCal.
  • Make sure the Timezone on both devices are set correctly. Go to “Preferences” then “Advanced” and tick “Turn on timezone support” in iCal. On your phone, go to “Setting” then “Date and time” and select “Date & time Setting”, you’ll find the option to change the Timezone.
  • Sanitize your iCal entries if necessary, if you ever sync the phone before, you might notice that there are entries which subject are in the “<year> <name>” format, eg: “1986 Lindsay Lohan”. These are left over birthday entries from the previous sync, On the next sync these birthday entries are re-created again by phone so it will be duplicated, therefore it is necessary to delete these left over entries in iCal.
  • Clear contacts and calendar entries in your phone, got to “Contacts” then “Del. all contacts” to clear contacts. Go to “Organizer”, “Calendar” then “Options” and “Delete notes”, “All Notes” to clear calendar entries.
  • Open iSync, if your phone already registered, remove it and add it again to obtain the first sync screen. Select “Erase data on the device then sync” for the first sync, and go for the first sync.
  • After the first sync you’ll notice that your phone contact list had been populated with entries from address book, at the moment you phone will scan it’s contact list for birthday entries and generated calendar entry for it. These process takes time, so you better wait a while before performing the second sync.
  • After all birthday entries are created properly on your phone, it is time to perform the second sync. After the sync, you’ll notice the “<year> <name>” all day event created in iCal.
  • It’s done, have fun managing your days and contacts.

Hope this help,

13 comments:

Pieter Verhoeff said...

Hi Sejalan,

In july 2010 I was very disappointed to discover that I couldn't synch my new Nokia 6700 classic with my Mac. But my son sought for me and found your app and so I could synch.
I was very very glad therefor!!!
And now I have set again all data back to my phone after some tampering.
So you shall understand I am very grateful to you!!!
Many thanks!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

JP said...
Thank you for this. I however encounter trouble: iSync used to work well with my Nokia 6700c... Then, my Nokia has been out for a few weeks because it had to be repaired (was broken). Now, syncing from iCal to Nokia works well, but not the other way: if I create a new event on the Nokia and sync, it won't appear in iCal.

Any idea?

Thank you !

nofanto ibrahim said...

Hi JP,

It seems that iSync could not write to your iCal, its probably that all your calendar in iCal are read-only to iSync.
You might want to try adjusting iSync setting for iCal sync, open iSync and click your phone icon to open iSync properties page, make sure "calendar" property are checked and set "Put events created on phone into:" property to your calendar of choice

hope this help,

nofanto

marr0528 said...

It just worked!! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sejalan,
Thanks for the plug in - works with out problems...
well sort of - i have a dumb question - my Partner Carmen she is trying to save all the contacts from her phone to the computer - but according to your decription i should erase and sync - but then i lose exactly what i am trying to save??

If i save all contacts to the SIM card and erase everything on the phone will that work? that i can then reimport them onto the phone and later then re-sync?

Please help the Noob here - ;o)

or what happens when i merge the info? as we have no contacts on our computer at the moment...

Thanks if you can be of any help...
Zakk Enghagen

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nofanto for your answer... and sorry to all, that I did not post since then. Actually, I can't really remember how I solved my problem (events created on Nokia wouldn't sync to Mac) but I think I had to reset all (save everything on Nokia, then reset it from settings menu ; uninstall phone from iSync and install it again...).

Now, it works very well!

Thanks to all.

Anonymous said...

To Zakk :

Do you know you can save everything on your phone quite easily?

Menu>Settings>Sync and backup>Create backup

Then, choose what you want to save (for example contacts in your case) and it will be saved on your card. This may be very helpful in you situation and you should do it anyway before any such operation.

For example, you may save all, reset the phone, restore all and merge informations with the Mac. If it doesn't work, just get everything restored and try something else.

I can't remember how, but I did what you're trying to achieve so good luck and post if you have any other question!

JP

nofanto ibrahim said...

Hi Zakk,

Using merge info should be fine if there's no contact in your OSX address book, otherwise you'll be end up with many contact conflict.

But before you do the sync, please make sure you have backup your contact on phone just like JP's said.

Good luck,

nofanto

PicturePerfect said...

Well done for making this plugin. However, it just doesn't seem to work for me.
I have mac OS 10.4.11 (powerbook g4) and despite following your guide I always get this message:

'[Nokia 6700 classic] There was an error getting data from the phone. The synchronization may have been cancelled on the phone.
Device "Nokia 6700 classic" synchronization failed'

On the phone it says: "Data transfer not possible"

Would this be caused by the OS being to old, or is it likely to be something else?

Nofanto Ibrahim said...

Hi,

I haven't test the plugin on 10.4, so the OS could be the problem.
Anyway please ensure that you've have the latest firmware on your phone, from my experience, the newest firmware the better chance iSync will work.

Good luck,

Nofanto

Jason said...

Hello Sejalan,

Thank you very much for creating this plugin. It is the only one that syncs flawlessly, after having tried a number of others.

I have just one -minor- issue. I use icloud for calendar and contacts. Syncing multiple cloud based calendars is no problem. However, the contacts are different. Only local contacts can be synced (in the 'on my mac' section of address book). So I have to copy all icloud conctacts to a local account, which I otherwise wouldn't do.

Is this fixable?

Nofanto Ibrahim said...

Hi Jason,

AFAIK iSync only sync local address book and it won't be supported multiple address book since Apple stopped developing iSync, so fixing iSync is not an option.

I haven't use iCloud on my Mac (still on snow leopard), but this link perhaps is an answer to your problem.

good luck,

nofanto